a Simpsons joke I didn't get the first time around

rather than a preview of the Flyers @ Bruins game tonight, here's something I've been waiting a while to post, and I'm finally doing so thanks to seeing "Why Philadelphia Flyers Wear Orange Jerseys" at Third String Goalie today. tonight will be the first Bruins game my Bruins-Blackhawks fan friend in Boston is going to this season (meanwhile, I've already been to ten Hawks games--and a Bruins game in Detroit!--this fall. but the Hawks didn't jack up their ticket prices this year due to post-season success like he says the B's did...) anyway, from The Simpsons' "Treehouse of Horror IV":


from the Wikipedia entry for the episode (in which Homer accidentally sells his soul for a donut, and has a trial with the devil to get it back): The "jury of the damned" at Homer's trial "consists of John Wilkes Booth, Lizzie Borden, John Dilinger, Blackbeard, Benedict Arnold, the starting lineup of the 1976 Philadelphia Flyers, and Richard Nixon."

it was a bit of work to find the episode online and get screenshots, so I didn't get all the ones I wanted (here's when the jury disappears).

as a kid in the middle of Iowa when this first aired, this is a joke that went over my head (though I think I knew all the non-Flyers references). I'd forgotten it until I found the Society for International Hockey Research's website and started browsing the section on hockey in TV and movies. is there a better hockey reference in a non-hockey TV show or movie than this one?

No comments: